By Konrad H. Kinzl
- Topics lined diversity from the political and institutional buildings of Greek society, to literature, paintings, economics, society, war, geography and the environment
- Discusses the issues of analyzing a number of the assets for the period
- Guides the reader in the direction of a broadly-based realizing of the historical past of the Classical Age
Read Online or Download A Companion to the Classical Greek World (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Similar ancient history books
This better half presents scholarly but obtainable new interpretations of Greek background of the Classical interval, from the aftermath of the Persian Wars in 478 B. C. to the demise of Alexander the good in 323 B. C. issues lined variety from the political and institutional constructions of Greek society, to literature, paintings, economics, society, battle, geography and the surroundings Discusses the issues of studying a number of the resources for the interval publications the reader in the direction of a broadly-based knowing of the historical past of the Classical Age
Within the first centuries advert, the japanese Roman provinces skilled a proliferation of elite public generosity unequalled of their past or later background. during this examine, Arjan Zuiderhoek makes an attempt to reply to the query why this could were so. targeting Roman Asia Minor, he argues that the surge in elite public giving was once now not attributable to the susceptible fiscal and fiscal place of the provincial towns, as has usually been maintained, yet by way of social and political advancements and tensions in the Greek towns created via their integration into the Roman imperial process.
Amassing records culled from the writings of historical Greek and Roman authors, this e-book offers a glimpse of what lifestyles used to be like in precedent days and illustrates the relevance of those long-ago civilizations to trendy existence. • Over forty records, excerpted from the writings of historical Greek and Roman authors, similar to Plutarch's description of the banishment from Athens of a simply guy• A timeline of the traditional Greco-Roman international presents a chronology of vital occasions • A thesaurus containing descriptions/definitions of many Greek and Roman phrases and phrases, akin to "strategos"
Fifth-century Athenian musical and political theorist Damon used to be the 1st to review music's mental, behavioural, and political results, profoundly influencing debates on track conception all through antiquity. thought of by way of Isokrates to be the main clever Athenian of his age, Damon labored along Perikles throughout the so much shiny many years of Athens' democracy.
- The Mysteries of Artemis of Ephesos (Synkrisis)
- Antiquity Now: The Classical World in the Contemporary American Imagination
- Theodoret's People: Social Networks and Religious Conflict in Late Roman Syria (Transformation of the Classical Heritage)
- Roman Dress and the Fabrics of Roman Culture
- Minoan Realities: Approaches to Images, Architecture, and Society in the Aegean Bronze Age (AEGIS)
Extra info for A Companion to the Classical Greek World (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to the Classical Greek World (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Konrad H. Kinzl